Treatment and Diagnosis of Pinched Nerves at Health First Chiropractic
What causes pinched nerves, and how can you tell if you're experiencing one? Our chiropractor in Marysville, WA is happy to answer these and other questions for you if you have concerns about your spinal health. We also offer drug-free, non-invasive treatment so you can get back to a healthy, active, and pain-free life.
Common Causes of a Pinched Nerve
From all the way up in your neck to down in your lower back, you have spinal nerves which leave your spinal column and branch out to innervate your arms and legs. These nerves often become pinched and irritated at their roots near where they exit the spine, often by one of the following:
- An injured or spasming muscle
- A misaligned or narrowed joint space (e.g., vertebral subluxation, osteoarthritis, spinal stenosis)
- An injured disc, such as a herniation (torn and leaking), bulging disc (protruding out of place and against the nerve) or degenerated disc (which can thin out over time due to age-related stress)
A pinched nerve can develop gradually due to chronic stress, repetitive movement, and wear and tear. In other cases, such as a traumatic fall or auto accident, a pinched nerve can happen acutely.
Signs and Symptoms of Pinched Nerves
A pinched nerve often leads to motor and sensory changes along that nerve's innervation pathway. Common signs and symptoms include:
- Reflex changes
These symptoms occur in the arm or leg innervated by the affected nerve. Additional signs and symptoms may include pain and stiffness at the level of the pinched nerve in the spine.
How Our Marysville Chiropractor Treats and Prevents Pinched Nerves
The main goal with any pinched nerve treatment is to decompress the nerve and prevent the compression from occurring again. But instead of relying on invasive surgery or side-effect riddled medications, our Marysville chiropractor, Dr. Robert Clarke, can provide holistic treatments to provide relief.
Common approaches for pinched nerve treatment include:
- The Blair Upper Cervical adjustment technique and other chiropractic adjustments, which realign the entire spine, restore normal joint space and alleviate pressure on spinal nerves (Dr. Clarke is one of the few doctors of chiropractic in the Marysville area certified in Blair Upper Cervical)
- Core stabilization exercises to improve stability, strength, and endurance of postural muscles and avoid recurring pinched nerves
- Postural re-training and education
- Nutritional counseling and lifestyle guidance to maximize spinal tissue health
Could Your Symptoms be Caused by a Pinched Nerve? Contact Health First Chiropractic
To schedule an appointment with experienced Marysville chiropractor and get to the bottom of your pinched nerve pain, contact our chiropractic clinic today at (360) 658-5618.